A big project...

 I often have a bad habit of making big plans, and not following through 100% of the time. Not out of laziness, but mostly because something else will come up that I deem more important. I blame ADD, but that remains to be seen.

I try not to announce anything to anyone until I know it's something I am committed to. There are certain things that I will start, and it as if I have laser vision. I will work on it until its finished.

I am no writer by any means. If you are a regular reader of the blog, you know that I don't pay a lot of attention to formatting or grammar. I try to catch most of my spelling errors, but I'm sure my high school english teacher would cringe if he ever took the time to read some of my posts.

With all that said, I was recently inspired by a song I heard by The Decemberists. The song is called "Crane Wife" There are 3 parts to the song, and it is based on an old folk tale. The song interested me, so I looked up the folks tale. There have been a few renditions and books of the story, but they surprisingly lacked any sort of creativity. There is one book out there that is a rehash of the folks tale, but frankly, I didn't care for it.

I decided to take a new approach to the story and started kind of brainstorming. It led to an idea, and planted a seed in my head.

What if I rewrote the story? I could give it a modern spin and write it how I see it. I started imagining what I could do that was different from the original but still portrayed the moral of the story, which I feel is a beautiful and tragic one.

One day, I got bored and started typing. I was surprised at how quickly the words were flowing. Next thing I knew I had over 6000 words, and its still coming. I'm roughly 1/3 through the book at this point.

I don't expect to get published and become famous, because frankly, I'm not that good of a writer. This is more of a time killer project. I will however, reveal the finished work here.

I am also in need of "Beta Readers" Beta readers should be people that enjoy reading, and can critique what I have and make suggestions. If you are interested, please send me an email or comment below.

Here is the song that inspired the book


No comments :

Post a Comment