Sometimes, pride gets the best of you...

     So, as most of my readers know, I have been looking feverishly for a job. I have had a handful of interviews, and I have been given answers from "you are overqualified" to "we filled the position from within the company".
     I realize that the problem is that when I interview, I'm up against 50 other applicants. I try not to make excuses, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if my weight has anything to do with whether or not I get a job. Obviously a potential employer would never admit to this, but let's face. Obesity is linked to (although unfairly) to laziness. When I have a job, I perform to the best of my abilities, which in most cases has led to my getting promoted fairly quickly. I am in no means trying to brag. I'm just trying to explain that when I have a job to do, I do it well.
    First let me tell you what interviews I have had, and the answers I have gotten.

  1. Grainger- Interview went well, the job was doing exactly what I did at Smurfit. I got some automated email about how they chose another canditate.
  2. Staffmark- Scored very high on all my exams, and they tried to get me in at Jimco. Jimco said I was "overqualified" for the position, and I would be better suited for a supervisory position.
  3. Ascent Health Care- Interview went well, I was offered a job to drive mentally challenged kids on a van to and from home for $8.00 an hour. I would have made less than what I'm drawing for unemployment. They offered me a position, I turned it down.
  4. Southern Marketing Associates- Interview went well, I was in the top two candidates, and a college graduate was chosen over me.
  5. Express Personnel- offered a job in Pocahontas for $9.00 an hour. Again, not enough to justify the drive to pocahontas. I am making more money on unemployment,
  6. A.I.D. Professional Employment- application in, waiting to hear on a local position.
  7. Express Pawn-Interview went well, nice paying job, filled 3 positions with other people. No explanation asked or given. 

    Now, this is just interviews I have had. This doesn't include the countless applications I have put in. I put in 6 applications at St. Bernard's Regional Medical Center alone. I have received 4 rejection emails. I have applied for FedEx, UPS, SubTeach, USPS, Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, AT&T, Nordex, Nicepak, Wal-mart, Kmart, Dollar General, Verizon, Sprint, and many many many more. 
   This brings me to where I am today. I got a call from Russell Wireless (Verizon) for an interview, and spoke in depth with the manager about the position, and feel like I will be offered a position. The Verizon will be a base salary plus commission, so the earning potential is high. I have not YET been offered offered a position with this company, but I feel like I will get a job offer.
     Today, I interview with McDonalds, YES, I said McDonalds. They offered me a job on the spot, 27,000 per year, plus profit sharing and bonuses, with the ability to promote very quickly to general manager (which I am told pays over $40k per year. This is where my pride steps in. I do not like the idea of taking a job at McDonalds. I feel like I am taking a leap backwards. I put my 4 years in at Sonic, and I swore I would never go back to fast food. However, 27K is over twice what I'm making now, and just a couple grand less than what I was making at my last job.
    The problems are many, but the main problems with working at McDonald's is as follows. 
  1. Fast Food means I'll be on my feet all day
  2. They are going to make me shave my beard!!!!!!!!!
  3. I will stink like stale disgusting grease.
  4. I will have weird hours. No telling which shift I will work.
     So once I was offered the job at McD's, I immediately called the Verizon manager and explained that I owe McDonald's an answer by Tuesday at the latest. I made sure he understood that I would rather work selling cell phones, than Hamburgers. He is going to try to get me in by Saturday for an interview with the district manager.
     I guess my question is; Should I take a job at McDonald's. Am I "too good" to work at McD's. Should I suck it up and take a job on my feet again for 27k? There is definite room for advancement at McD's, but I will also be around food all the time, which is no good for a fat ass like me. 
    I have to make a decision by Monday...so I have a lot of thinking to do.

     On another note, I have NOT been exercising. I haven't gone to Fitness Boot Camp in two weeks. My depression is worse now than it has ever been, so I decided to make an appt for a shrink to try to get to the root of my depression problems. It is getting in the way of my weight loss, and my health. I drag my ass out of bed most days at 1PM. I have a feeling that once Cornelius reads this, he will not be happy. After all it has been proven that exercise helps depression. I feel like I have disappointed him, and myself. I don't want it to make my friends and readers question my will to lose weight. However, it will be hard to understand for anyone that has never suffered from depression. It really is debilitating. I just hope that the shrink will have some ideas on how to overcome it.
     I want/need to get back to Fitness Bootcamp. I need Cornelius to kick my ass into submission. Sometimes I think to myself. "You need to get the hell up and do something. You are a fat ass, and if you don't fix yourself, you will not live to see Gracie or Xander graduate." Then the other side of me says "just sit on your ass and continue to feel sorry for yourself, it doesn't matter anyway".
   
     I appreciate the readers that take the time to listen to my rants, and my attempt to feel sorry for myself. I know that there are people that have it much worse than me, but I enjoy being able to vent to my readers and at least have the illusion that someone out there is interested in what I have to say.

P.S. GUS, where have you been? 



     

3 comments :

  1. Ronnie,
    Sometimes you have to start somewhere. Forget about smelling like nasty grease or shaving your beard. If you need the money bad enough you will do what it takes to make it. McDonalds doesn't seem like the perfect job but that job may not come until after college. Sometimes putting pride aside to take care of other things is a little more important. Getting out there and working, even if it's working in fast food will motivate you more to want to get out there and work out again. I wish you nothing but the best!!! $27,000 isn't bad without a college degree and $40,000 definitely isn't either. Just think about that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reckon gus went away lookin at the last comment
    clearly the anonymous person didnt get what was being said or maybe are from your family possibly cause it seemed to personal & overprotective a response

    faced with that i would disaparate too at that sort of response & say screw folk

    ReplyDelete
  3. @filches cat, not sure exactly who it was. I checked around the family, and everyone swears up and and down it wasn't them. Thats why I have been playing with the idea of fixing the comments where I have to approve them first. I sure wish Gus wouldn't have run off though. It was just one person's opinion. I, for one, appreciated the involvement.

    ReplyDelete