Depression or Deprivation? My Struggle with Sleep Apnea

     For the past year, I have been treated for depression. Nothing has really seemed to work. I still showed all the classic signs of depression. Irritability, mood swings, sleeping all the time, trouble concentrating, etc. I have tried Paxil, Celexa, and Wellbutrin, along with Klonopin for anxiety and nothing seemed to work. What was even more odd, is that I have always been an even mooded person. I wasn't always an asshole. I got along with most everyone, and everyone kept telling me I was out of character. I always blamed it on the depression even though treatment wasn't helping. 
     What if it never really was depression brought on by life changes? What if this entire time, it has been something completely different, and I have been treating the wrong disease? Don't get me wrong...there is no doubt that I have been suffering from Depression, but why haven't the meds helped?
     I have noticed lately that I get tonsilitis A LOT, in fact every morning when I wake up, my tonsils are huge, and I can barely swallow. I have been having a hard time getting going in the mornings, and I never feel rested in the mornings. In fact, I feel worse when I wake up than when I went to bed. I get headaches now, I catch myself snoring, I wake up and I have completely turned the sheets around. I often wake up with night sweats. I finally convinced myself that maybe it was time for a sleep study. 
     I knew absolutely nothing about sleep apnea, I had done ZERO research on it, but Dr. Golden recommended a sleep study. He gave me a referral and I had my first sleep study done on 5/7/12. 
     Its nothing like you would expect....at least not at my hospital. The sleep rooms are like hotel rooms. Flat panel TV's, a queen size bed, private bathrooms, individual thermostats....very cozy. I showed up and they explained to me exactly what they would be measuring. Snoring, oxygen levels, breathing, leg movement, eye movement, jaw movement, pulse, sleep position, sleep state, etc....I thought how in the hell can they do all that??? Then I quickly learned. They do it by GLUING what feels like a hundred diodes all over your body including in your hair, and in my case, my beard. However, thats not all....first they scrub the hell out of the areas that will be glued by what can only be described as liquid sandpaper. Here is me after the "Initial diodes". Keep in mind that this is only the head. You can tell how happy I am at this point...Im mainly grumpy because there is gauze and metal things glued into my beard.

     From here, I was left to wander the room for about 40 minutes while my tech finished up with her other patient.This was probably the easiest part, because I sat in the recliner and watched family guy. My tech gets back into the room and asked me to sit in this chair, which I now know was a MISTAKE, because it was in the chair where the real misery comes in. She inserts these rigid metal wires into my nose! She then sticks one of those rubbery oxygen tube things up there, so that my nose is stuffed. She then taped the stuff to my face. When all was said and done this is what I looked like.

     What you cant see is the diodes on the back of my head, on my legs, and on my chest. I eventually went to sleep, and was aroused at about 6AM feeling like shit as usual. I was greeted by a million questions about how I slept, and had to answer each on a scale of 1-9, yes 9....I didn't get it. She then doused me in acetone to remove the glued in stuff and sent me home. 
     I got a phone later that day and they told me that the doctor had looked at my results and they were ready and that I had also left my glasses on the night stand (I looked for them all morning). I went to pick up my results, and I was floored by them. I slept for 7.6 hours. I had 457 Respiratory events that lasted 10 seconds or more each. Thats 93 per hour! One every 45 seconds!!! I inquired how it was possible for me to enter rem sleep...they said I never did enter REM sleep. IN FACT (and I just learned this bit last night), out of the 7.6 hours I slept, only 25 minutes of it was spent in "restorative level 2 sleep". 
     I immediately looked up information on this and learned that anything over 30 episodes per hour is considered severe, and guess what....Sleep apnea can cause Depression, mood swings, irritability, trouble concentrating, fatigue, etc. Pretty much ALL the things that I associated with depression. So is the depression my problem???? Or is it a symptom? The only way to find out is by using a CPAP and seeing if I can get better. 
     Last night I came back to the hospital for my second test, this time with a CPAP machine, and for the first time in FOREVER I dreamed. I didn't realize that I hadn't been dreaming, I just assumed I wasn't remembering them. However, I was never entering REM sleep. The tech told me this morning, that I must have been deprived because I spent a lot of time in REM sleep. Of course, I dreamed about the mask, but it was still a dream. My pressure was set to 17 on the CPAP machine before I quit snoring.

     I guess all that is left now, is to find a mask that DOESNT look like this one, and see if my depression goes away. Its crazy to think that it could be alleviated by a CPAP. 

     The important thing is, now I know why I always feel too tired to stick with my exercise routine, Heres to  hoping for better sleep and moods in the future, and as always, I will keep you guys updated.

6 comments :

  1. The masks don't differ much & the machinery (box) you take home with you is quite noisy, so if you do get one maybe some cream for where the mask sits, a lot of water available (as it dries you out) & a box around the portable machine to muffle it's pump station.

    they are darth vader masks, & if issued with one you'll have to simply get iused to the whole rather big set up.

    Losing weight OBVIOUSLY helps deal with sleep issues, & for alot of folk is preferable to the incumebrance of the kit associated with sleep apnea type machines used at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From "Watching from the sidelines"

    Shame you removed a real comment with regards to your food & exercise link, I read back to the point you stated (on bfl) that you were getting rid of it (inertia maybe)? & a new format would follow.

    Did it really happen or has it simply never been stuck to?

    I'd be keen to know exactly what exercise & food practises you've been following since quitting boot camp nearly a year ago & how you are going forward.

    Come on RJ Boling fess up & get back to the origins of this blog.

    For instance the grand weigh in with a co-worker, nothing thereafter!

    What are you doing about actually shifting a few pounds & eating that bit better & ultimately making your life easier for you & your children?

    The best chance of losing weight is whilst you are young, after that it gets a hell of a lot harder.

    There is a window of opportunity don't let it close on you.
    My link to the paper was serious & not spam, I'm uncertain why it was moderated so completely, just makes me think why bother, was hoping that after your efforts crashed & burned that you'd have got on with things & back in the saddle?

    Am I wrong or are you doing stuff to keep chipping away at your weight & up your health, even in small ways.
    If so let us know, if not goodbye I was honestly hoping for positive proactive news regarding your journey as you used to call it, after giving it many months away from this post due to the apparant apathy.

    I was honest & open, if you are not with yourself then it's an open & shut case, read your own posts & look, coming up a year on your june posts where you stopped with cornelius after not going for such a long time & fell off the wagon in terms of being proactive & having a goal of weight loss, improved life, mobility, self esteem, seeing your kids grow up.
    Etc.

    Stop floundering & "get rolling, Boling"

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope that your depression now lifts! Hooray! I have two friends that needed this. They had choices of what type of mask. One has a full and another friend has just the nose covered.

    They both reported that the difference is night and day as in how great they feel now! If you were severe you should be able to feel a big difference for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came here (again) & saw nothing (again).
    RJ if you don't use fitness calorie counter then lose it, i'm getting tired of checking, hoping you are using it to keep yourself in step & on top of your daily food, I remember when you said it would start in another shape or form, ...since then nothing.

    That's not good! ...have you simply given up? are you actually doing any shape or form of exercise? what's the diet plan, / fallback plan for injuries? ....it's been a year & I can't see any progress made that's not fallen by the wayside for one reason or the other, you said a while ago about manning up & growing a pair, or similar.

    Is BFL Blog another thing you've just given up on!?
    It makes for depressing reading when there's no update & that life change is probably just another afterthought.

    for christs sake grow a pair for your own self worth , those you love & your own wellbeing.

    What would Cornelius think?, he gave you a way to improve yourself, & you bailed on it,
    You are really bailing on yourself, are you able to even walk by the door or skulk by when in town, if you skulk that's your guilt weighing heavier than any spare flesh.

    I'd like to read that you have made improvements soon, very soon & got yourself on track, or should your readership simply give up on you like you appear to have on yourself.

    Come on RJ, get tough, get angry, & get motivated.
    Still reading (though I wonder why)

    I don't think you need molliecoddling , you aren't a kid, but you do need to kick yur own ass & outrun any doom & gloom by upping your natural anti-depressant chemicals rather than fucking em around with so many drugs that conflict, pare em back when possible & up the health stakes, even if it's working on getting rid of "bingo-wings" by doing a few arm reps.

    if you don't keep some record of what your doing then you'll remain in the same lane (non-starters).

    grow balls mate ..not breasts! (I like that as a mantra)
    Wishing you well.

    Gus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re. Important" links.

    you haven't filled them out, you don't update your blog, & you want people to donate cash for surgery, where is the incentive for them if you show no commitment?

    whatever else is going on in your life, sticking to this could have made your life.
    I anticipate this will be deleted despite being constructive.

    RJ, get back on the wagon & prove folk wrong, that you can do it, if you don't show positive, proven, ongoing weight loss, no-one will wan't to perform surgery on you, & the bigger you are the more chance of dying under the knife, leaving your children without a father.

    Therefore you need to stick to actively losing weight or else the surgery could simply be a band-aid without glue. there are folk out there who have the surgery & still gorge, mind & body need to change in order for any process to work.

    So what have you been doing? update.

    the T-shirt phrase I've seen for Dinosaurs is apt "change or die" ..do you wan't to be a dinosaur?

    come on for christs sake!

    Or simply give up & take this site down as it's not exactly doing much is it?

    Hope to see you pull your head out & deliver asap.

    ReplyDelete