Depression relapse is a bitch...

   Not exactly sure what brought it on, but I have kind of under the weather today. Not in a physical sense, but in an emotional sense. I have just felt like shit all day. It may have been the junk food last night at Godsey's. Im not sure why some days I'm ok, and others I feel depressed. I'm afraid to say that I may need to increase my dosage of Paxil. This scares me, because I feel like I have finally reached a point where the side effects of the AD's have subsided. Im afraid if I increase my dose, the side effects will come back in full force.
    The side effects of Paxil and Celexa for me included, a feeling of drunkness, or disconnectedness, "brain zaps", various sexual side effects (including anaorgasma), insomnia, chills, anxiety, and various other side effects. They are so bad in the first few weeks, that it makes you wonder if the drugs are worse than the depression. I really wish I could go back to not taking any medicine. The idea of having to rely on AD's to function properly long term is depressing (ironic, right).
    I try my best to count my blessings in hopes that I can turn my demeanor around when I feel like this, but nothing seems to help. I know I'm blessed with a beautiful wife and daughter, and I feel like I have the inability to enjoy them as I should because of the depression. It's hard to explain if you have never had depression, and it probably just comes across as whiny to my readers. As my EX-Dr. once said. "Just shake it off". How I wish it were that easy. However, its not. Its these times (in the past) that I would turn to alcohol in order to be "happy". Of course I felt whimsical while I was drunk, but felt overwhelming guilt the next day, because I know in my current state of fitness, that was one more night that all I did was harm my body for a few hours of numbness. Of course as part of this blog one thing that I am desperately trying to eliminate from my life is drinking. Now I feel the need to say, that I am not even close to to an alcoholic, but I do know that it's a slippery slope once you turn to alcohol to cope with emotional distress. This is why I went to the Dr. in the first place last year.
   So I have to decide if I should shake this off as a bad day, or take it seriously and talk to the Doc about increasing my dosage. I'm looking to do things that will replace these bad vibes in my life with something a little more constructive, such as this blog, and the video blogging. The problem is that it is taking every little bit of will power I have to sit down and type this out. I feel like it may have some therapeutic value to do this though.
   I usually try to keep this blog upbeat so as not to bring down my audience, but I felt the need to be candid today in my current mental state. NO, I'm not having thoughts of harming myself or others. I just feel like crawling under a rock today, and not coming out until life is easy again. I know those are juvenile thoughts, because life is not going to be easy in this day and time. I just have to learn to cope with it without meds. Because sometimes, Its just not worth the ups and downs that come along with taking AD's.
   I'm sorry if I brought everyone down, it wasn't my intention. My sole intention was to get my thoughts out on virtual paper.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow, and I can go back to making people laugh, and stop feeling sorry myself.

7 comments :

  1. Keep them coming, I think they r interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find them interesting too...a little odd at times...lol...but entertaining and insightful. Praying for you. ~debbie~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transfer some of your reliance on too many sweet things onto Bananas straight from the fruitbowl, good natural sugars, a dose of seratonin too! & will assist in eventually reducing doseage of the pills you are currently swilling down!

    Helped me big time.
    Why cut out everything all at once? that is a trauma in itself, reduce then eliminate, guess all the processed crap will be giving you withdrawal symptoms too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RJ, what is your history as a big chap?
    When & how did it start?
    Some history would be good to understand a lot more.

    Something that got me started on a health kick was water ski-ing,which can be a bit of a work out & good for your back.

    Any ski-lakes around by you?, perhaps start with a wakeboard, or even a simple trip in a ringo! ..that can hurt.
    Short intense bursts followed by relaxation! ..my kind of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally with you big guy. Crawling under the covers and wanting it all to go away... side effects from ADs... drinking way too much... eating disorder (mine was the opposite)... Been there, done that and got the f**king T-shirt.

    Definitely put it down to a bad day please!! If you up your dose every time you feel rotten you'll end up nothing but a drugged up zombie!! A bad day every now and again is ok. You just have to accept it as that and go with it. Then make sure the next day you plan something positive, the earlier the better, to distract yourself. eg: going for a walk in the park with your daughter :)

    One suggestion, if I may please? Change the name of this blog! You are branding yourself as just that "Big Fat Loser" - how can you shift your mindstate, patterns, etc, if you are constantly negatively reinforcing them?? Ok it's a great title for grabbing attention and therefore readers but.... have a think about it eh?

    You WILL get through this. (And yes I used to just want to cry when people told me that, but 1yr later I know I am well on my way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the blog 31 and counting. Thanks for posting! The name of the blog is suppose to have 2 meanings. Its more of a play on words, really. Since my goal is to lose weight. I may eventually change the name around, but my current goal is to grab attention and get a base of followers. ;)

    Thanks again for the great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you on twitter! Good for you! As for your depression, I was also diagnosed as clinically depressed so I know how it feels. If you need someone to share with, we can help you! --> psychinspire@gmail.com

    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete