Quitting Paxil...

    I have been thinking alot lately about the paxil. I have decided after much personal debate to stop taking them. The mood swings when I'm taking them have taken a toll on me and Amanda. The reason I started taking Paxil in the first place was because of work related worries and stresses. I have reached a point where I wonder if the benefits outweigh the side effects.
    I have read that quitting Paxil cold turkey is NOT a smart move, so I contacted my doctor and got put a taper schedule. For those of my readers that are curious about quitting Paxil themselves, Ill fill you in on my taper schedule. I searched for one on my own to no avail.
Im currently on 20mg at bedtime. Im going to 10mg for 3 weeks, then 5mg for 1 week, then I'm done.
    I made this decision based on my behavior as of the last few weeks. Anyone in my family can tell you that I have been a complete dick. I haven't been myself lately, and the only thing I can think of is the Paxil. If I go off the meds, and experience profound depression again, then I will see doctor Golden and try a different AD. The paxil side effects are simply not worth it to me. I feel worse now than I EVER did before AD's.
   Not to mention Paxil causes weight gain, which is going to make my weight loss journey more difficult. I have to think about which is going to benefit me more....weight loss, or AD's.

4 comments :

  1. So what are you going to incorporate into your diet with natural seratonin?

    I vote a banana sundae! ...loaded with natural upper (the banana)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try fish oil, B vitamins and exercise even if only walking. Google them - they've all been studied for their effect on depression. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous is quite correct, amongst other fish oil studies, over here in the uk we had an experiment linking poor diet to behavioural problems, this was trialled in a prison (voluntary trial) based on improved diets for prisoners who reported large increases in motivation, brain function health & mental well-being, ..subsequently less friction & aggression between inmates & officers, & less chance of re-offending.

    Unfortunately after proving so effective the scheme was cut! (stupidly) ..however

    I'm a massive one for mackerel & other oily fish types, typically having 3 meals of well sourced fish per week.
    Have been known to start the day witha few small cans of mackerel fillets, the smell can be annoying for others however it's a great source of brain food to assist in easily absorbed, beneficial foodstuffs.
    If that's the way you are going then you have to plan on a viable maintenance dose of uppers to help the come down & also ongoing..

    Step away from that xbox, limit it's use in form of a reward / treat for getting out walking, exercise, goals attained etc..
    It's another habit! ..(yeah i've got one too, but I try to play it sporadically & not get a new game till A, it's as low as it's ever going to get, B, till i've completed the last one & i'm satisfied I can breeze it!
    (too many nights losing all sense of time, creeping up to bed at 3am, feeling crappy, sleeping in, headaches, neck ache, eyes watering as i'm staring far too long at the screen)
    ...any of this familiar to you!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. since April 1st you have missed 13 days of completing your food diary.

    That's not good, kick yourself in the pants & do a penance, something nice for the family, e.g. how about making a batch of healthy muffins from scratch? ..something to nibble on & hopefully get your family behind you!?

    ReplyDelete